Author Profile

North Shore Eye Care

Contact Us

More From This Author

Blurred Vision Following Cataract Surgery

By Jeffrey L. Martin, MD

Published on March 15, 2010

Cataract surgery has been one of the most successful outpatient procedures for many years. The procedure is performed in a quick and painless fashion, and Dr. Jeffrey Martin rarely uses needles around the eyes, stitches, or even an eye patch. The cloudy or defective natural lens is removed through a small incision using gentle computer-controlled ultrasound or phacoemulsification. A new intraocular lens implant is then placed to restore vision.

Sometimes, patients do not regain the vision that they expected following cataract surgery. There can be several reasons for poor vision following cataract surgery. Some of the more common causes include:

Macular Edema

At one month, blurred vision can be caused by cystoid macular edema. This is a swelling in the retina that can occur in otherwise perfect cataract surgery. The cause is not well known, but treatment involves topical steroids and topical anti-inflammatory drops. It has been shown in clinical study that non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication can be used to prevent this cataract surgery side effect. For this reason, many cataract surgeons use these medications for prophalaxis.

Other Macular Problems

Macular issues like macular degeneration or epiretinal membrane can cause distorted or blurred vision following cataract surgery. Like a camera, the lens of the eye or the lens of the camera is fixed in cataract surgery, but if the film in the camera or the macula is damaged in some way, the pictures will still be blurred. There are different treatments for macular pathology depending on the clinical situation.

Vascular Problems

An old vascular event such as an artery occlusion or a vein occlusion can be the cause of blurred vision. In these situations, the blood flow to the retina has been damaged in some way. This can harm the function of the retina.

As stated, even in successful cataract surgery, there can still be reasons for less than perfect vision. You should seek the help of a qualified eye doctor I you experience blurred vision following cataract surgery.

Share |

Comments

this is 30 days I visited my doctor who did the cataract surgery twice I seem to be okay except wait and see my vision is less blurry and the floaters are water treated that is drink plenty t flush out the rim of light he says take it easy! whats new with cataract surgery all the ans are the same...

sandra cameron
over 3 years ago

Three months ago I had catarat surgery in my left eye. the next day I went back to see the doctor He told that surgery was well. After four week later I went back to the doctor to checked my eye, then he told me that I had a scar and I told him that I see blurry, He told me that I have to wait three months to get laser when I get laser my vision will clear up.two week ago I had surgery in my right eyes and I can see well. I just I have to wait and have a lot of pacience.

Ana Lopez
almost 4 years ago

Hi I had a catarac operation 7 weeks ago and still have blured vision I went back and they have told me i have had a bleed in the back of the eye and it can take up to 3 months to clear .
Has any one else had this problem?

Ann
about 4 years ago

i have cataract in both of my eyes, the right eye was done, howlong do i have to wait to get the next eye done

Phipps
about 4 years ago

16 days after cataractsurgery and still no clear vision.cloudy at all distances. help

Ray
about 4 years ago

@Shiela - Did your husband's vision improve? My father had similar surgery and is experiencing the same problem.

John
about 4 years ago

my husband had a cataract operation in his left eye last January 13, 2011. Its been already 5 days but still he said that it is still blurred.. when i read the above info. I would like to know that is there any way to get his clear vision?

shiela
about 4 years ago

I recently found a website saying that you can cure cataracts without the need for surgery.

Can you tell me if this actually possible..?

Google 'ethos.ag cataracts drops'

I am thinking of trying them but would like to get another opinion first.

Many thanks,

Pete...

Peter Aldred
about 4 years ago

Hello, my mother has mysthania gravis, she had a catarat operation on the eye that is affected and now a few months later she had double vision in the mornings clearing slightly during the day but not perfect. What do you think it is, please help.

LEE
over 4 years ago

is it normal to have film pieces left in your eye after cateract syrgery my eyes are so blurry can only see shadows

janet
over 4 years ago

I have been wearing hard contact lens for the past 30 years. Doctor did not mentioned that I should lay off contact lens for a while before surgery. Doctor has chosen bifocal Acri.tec 366D (I think its Restor) After surgery to my left eye, I suffered complete blurrness. However after 3 weeks of resting, I have regained clearer vision but now pushing into my 5th week, my vision is still not perfect for distance and blurr for near vision. My astimatigism is mild.
Please advise if more time is needed to recover or can correction be done

As for my right eye, I just had the surgery on 21 July but I find that intermediate vision is compromised. I have to adjust to a certain distance before I could see.
Furthermore, I have difficulty reading at close or intermediate distance in most room lighting, ie I need bright lights in order to read. Is this normal for bifocal lens or will vision be improved with time?

Thanks for our help.
Best Regards/

netlee
over 4 years ago

8 weeks ago I had a lens in my left eye,cateract lens in right eye was done in2004.i was assured the eyes focus would match,as was the case in 2004 when all I needed was off shelf reading glasses.my left eye now has double vision, similar to a shadow you get on a tv with back reflection,and an occasional blurred curtian crosses over the eye.The eyes now do not focus together. Hospital, after two return visits, tell me to see my optician, this I will do. Before operation when a novice! technician measured my eyes for lens she got totally mixed up, thought she was measuring right eye when it was the left,wonded why machine would not slide to right to do left eye which she had just measured. Experienced tech. was called for to help and all she wanted was cup of tea --she did some crossing out on my notes and said it would be ok.I was very concerned so rang hospital next am they did not ring back after listening to my queries if all would be ok.Lesson is make sure technicians are experienced and can get left and right correct when looking at you (not their left and right)

john saxton
almost 5 years ago

My name is Monica, Iam from Trinidad. I have had cataract surgery May of last year in my right eye I would to know what can I use for blurr vision because I still see very blurry in the eye. Can you help me please. Thank you.

Monica Bowen