If you have recently experienced significant weight loss after bariatric surgery, dieting, or pregnancy, you may bothered by excess skin on areas of your body. Plastic surgeons may use post-bariatric surgery contouring techniques, including body lift and other body sculpting procedures, to remove drooping skin left behind after weight loss surgery.
Who is a Good Candidate for Body Contouring After Weight Loss?
It can be very discouraging to achieve weight loss, yet still have to contend with excess skin that keeps you from wearing the clothes you'd like. Excess skin can cause cause daily discomfort by causing rashes and possibly skin infections. Post-weight loss cosmetic surgery can be an excellent solution for anyone who would like to have loose, excess skin removed from his or her body. Body contouring procedures can help you achieve the figure you desire after weight loss surgery, pregnancy, or following weight loss achieved through diet and exercise.
Post Bariatric Surgery Patients
Patients who have chosen to lose weight through bariatric surgery must accept a lifetime of changes; eating habits, lifestyle adjustments, and medical risks must all be taken into account. In addition to these commitments, post-bariatric surgery cosmetic procedures may be considered as a way to remove excess skin that causes skin irritation and prevents post-weight loss patients from fully enjoying their new bodies. Surgery to remove the excess skin and fat includes such body contouring options as tummy tuck, liposuction, and body lift. These procedures have been successfully used after weight loss surgery to refine patients’ bodies and help them enjoy everyday activities.
Women Who Have Been Pregnant
Weight gain during pregnancy is normal, as is weight loss after giving birth. For women with diminished skin elasticity or those who have had multiple pregnancies, excess skin may be a problem. If pregnancy has left you with post-weight loss excess skin, surgery to remove the additional skin can help give you the slimmer, shapelier figure you desire. Keep in mind that future pregnancies can reverse the effects of body contouring, so you should wait until you are done having children before undergoing this type of surgery.
Any Weight Loss Patient Who Has Excess Skin
Whether achieved through bariatric surgery or diet and exercise, massive weight loss often results in areas of loose, excess skin. If you have successfully lost a significant amount of weight through changes in your eating habits or activities, post-weight loss cosmetic surgery procedures such as a body lift may be a good option to eliminate any excess skin. Choosing to undergo a body lift after weight loss is an excellent way to reveal your slimmer new figure.
Body Contouring Options After Extreme Weight Loss
Depending on the amount of weight you have lost and the location of your excess skin, you may wish to consider one or more of the following post-bariatric surgery cosmetic procedures:
- Liposuction (Lipoplasty) – This procedure is often used to remove small amounts remaining fatty tissue from the hips, thighs, and abdomen to create smooth, aesthetically pleasing contours.
- Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) – Also called abdominoplasty, tummy tuck is an effective post-bariatric surgery cosmetic procedure that not only removes excess skin, but also tightens the abdominal muscles, creating a more slender waistline and flatter stomach.
- Arm Lift (Brachioplasty) – An arm lift begins by creating an incision along the underside of the upper arm. Excess skin is then removed to create a tighter, firmer appearance.
- Thigh Lift (Thigh Plasty) – Performed in much the same way as an arm lift, thigh lift is a popular form of body contouring surgery to lift and smooth the thighs after significant weight loss.
- Butt Lift (Brazilian Butt Lift) – One of the most common areas requiring body contouring after weight loss is the buttocks. A plastic surgeon can lift and reshape this part of the body to create smoother, tighter contours.
- Breast Implants – Because the breasts are composed mainly of fatty tissue, their appearance can be greatly affected by weight loss. Breast augmentation and breast lift are two body contouring procedures that help restore natural breast volume and lift the bustline after weight loss.
Body Lift After Weight Loss Surgery
Many patients who lose considerable amounts of weight through bariatric surgery are left with excess skin on different areas of their body. For these patients, body lift post-bariatric surgery, which combines several body contouring techniques into a single comprehnsive procedure, can achieve outstanding results. Performed after weight loss surgery, body lift removes excess skin and fat from many commonly affected areas such as the arms, thighs, abdomen, and buttocks.
Because every area of the body is worked on in the same surgery, an experienced surgeon can achieve a more natural-looking, aesthetically pleasing result than if the body contouring was perfomed one area at a time.
Visit the DocShop gallery to view body lift before and after photos.
Photo credit: Bella Cosmetic Surgery
Locate a Cosmetic Surgeon in Your Area
To learn more about the body lift procedure or other body contouring options available to patients after weight loss surgery, contact a plastic surgeon in your area who specializes in post-bariatric surgery cosmetic procedures. DocShop can help you find a qualified surgeon near you.
Want More Information?