Porcelain dental veneers are a beautiful way to correct stained, chipped, or crooked teeth. By placing a customized shell over the surface of the tooth, dentists can provide patients with bright, aligned, and natural looking smiles. Dental flaws that may have been a source of embarrassment or discomfort for years can be corrected in as little as one or two appointments. If you are considering this cosmetic dentistry treatment and would like more information, please continue reading, as we have put together a comprehensive guide of everything you need to know, so you can make an informed decision.
Placement of the shells is one that requires the skill, precision, and artistry of a talented cosmetic dentist. Your first appointment will go as follows:
- The dentist will prepare each tooth by removing about 1/2 millimeter of enamel from the surface.
- The treatment area will be numbed with a local anesthetic so you do not feel any discomfort during the procedure.
- Once each tooth has been prepared, an impression of the teeth is made. This impression allows the specialists at the dental laboratory to fabricate a custom fit product.
- The final product will be ready to be placed in one to two weeks; in the meantime, your dentist will place temporary veneers over your teeth.
When the permanent shells are ready, you will return for a second appointment to have them placed:
- Your dentist will evaluate the porcelain veneers next to your teeth and further trim and adjust them.
- The teeth will be cleaned and polished, and etched so the bonding solution adheres to the teeth.
- Each shell is then secured to the teeth with cement.
- The dentist will provide you with necessary aftercare instructions.
- Confidently leave the dentist's office with a brand new, beautiful smile.
The first step in your journey toward perfecting your smile involves a consultation with a skilled cosmetic dentist to determine if you are a good candidate for treatment. Ideal candidates have healthy teeth and gums, and would like to improve the appearance of their smiles. This treatment can mask a range of dental flaws, including:
- Gaps or spaces between teeth
- Chipped, cracked, and damaged teeth
- Crooked, uneven teeth
- Worn enamel
- Recessed teeth
- Discolorations or yellowed teeth
- Irregularly shaped teeth
- Teeth that are too short or too long
Your dentist will provide you with alternatives should it be established that you are not a good candidate for the procedure.
Cosmetic digital imaging is provided by many dentists to aid patients in their decision making process. Cosmetic digital imaging allows the dentist to give patients a visual picture of the end result, without actually performing any treatment. Cosmetic digital imaging, however, is meant to serve only as a guide and it is important that patients have realistic expectations of the end result.
Visit the DocShop gallery to view porcelain veneers before and after photos.
Photo credit: Ruth E. Bailey D.D.S.
This cosmetic dentistry option offers patients a number of excellent benefits, which include:
- Natural-looking results
- Made from extremely durable material
- Minimally-invasive procedure
- Resistant to staining
- Correct multiple flaws
- Long-lasting solution - 10 to 15 years
- Restore strength and functionality to the teeth
- Customized for your individual smile
- Relatively quick process - one to two appointments
- Restore your confidence, smile proudly
As with all cosmetic treatments, there is some risk involved, though extremely minimal. For example, patients may experience some minor tooth sensitivity immediately following the procedure. It is important to discuss your medical history and ask questions during your initial consultation, so you are well aware of any risks or side effects prior to commencing treatment. Additionally, be sure to find a qualified cosmetic dentist with experience performing the procedure.
The cost of treatment depends on the number of teeth being treated. They generally cost from $700 to $2,000 per tooth. When considering the cost of treatment, you must take into account their longevity and attractiveness. Porcelain veneers are long lasting alternatives to other treatments such as teeth whitening that cost less but must be maintained more often and lose their cosmetic appeal more quickly.
Find a Dentist
DocShop is a unique resource to help you find reputable dentists in your area who provide the services you require. By directing you to the informative websites of dentists, you can learn about the procedure or procedures you are considering as well as the qualifications, backgrounds, and experience of dental professionals. To schedule a consultation about treatment, find a cosmetic dentist in your state.