Invisalign® is an orthodontic treatment that uses a series of clear, custom-crafted mouthpieces to gradually guide teeth into proper alignment. The mouthpieces are worn at least 22 hours a day, to be removed only while eating meals, brushing, and flossing.
If you wish to straighten your smile, but are reluctant to wear conspicuous metal braces that constrict your food options, you may be a candidate for Invisalign®. In most cases, Invisalign® is equally effective as traditional braces.
Invisalign® is a unique treatment in that it serves a cosmetic function both during treatment as well as after:
- Invisible orthodontics allow the patient to have a natural-looking smile during treatment. The mouthpiece itself is hardly noticeable to those around you. Traditional braces, on the other hand, tend to stand out during treatment.
- A straighter smile at the end of treatment can give the patient the highly-coveted symmetry and spacing that is commonly considered so important in a “classic” smile.
Though Invisalign® is primarily considered a cosmetic treatment, it does provide significant restorative benefits:
- Tooth wear and temporomandibular joint disorder (TMD) can be curbed or avoided by treating overbite and underbite with Invisalign®
- It is easier to clean teeth once crowding issues have been corrected with Invisalign®
- Gum problems such as periodontal pockets and disease can be avoided by correcting gapped teeth
- Initial visit: During your first appointment, the dimensions of your smile will be digitally measured to guide creation of your mouthpieces and devise a treatment plan. You will be provided with a digital representation of the results you can expect after treatment.
- Wearing Invisalign® Mouthpieces: You will wear your mouthpieces for at least 22 hours a day, removing them to eat, brush, and floss. Every two weeks, you will wear the next mouthpiece in the series.
- Checkups: Every six weeks, you will return to the dentist to monitor your progress.
- A Straighter Smile: At the end of your treatment, your smile will be properly aligned.
You may be advised to continue wearing your final mouthpiece overnight as a retainer that will help you maintain your new smile. Some patients consider undergoing teeth whitening treatment after completing Invisalign® treatment to highlight their new smile.
- Discreet: Invisalign® is hardly noticeable to those around you.
- Comfortable: The smooth plastic mouthpieces are gentle on the soft tissues of your mouth.
- Removable: Cleaning your teeth after meals is easy when undergoing Invisalign® treatment, and you can continue to enjoy any foods you choose.
Speak to a Dentist to Learn More about Invisalign®
If you would like to learn more about how Invisalign® can improve the appearance and health of your smile, contact a dentist in your area today.