Five Areas of the Body Where Liposuction Is Most Effective
Liposuction is one of the most popular cosmetic surgeries in the world. Millions of men and women enjoy more sleek and youthful figures, thanks to this proven procedure. When diet and exercise don't achieve the desired results, a cosmetic surgeon can help you achieve a more ideal figure by removing excess fat cells from troublesome areas of the body.
How Liposuction Works
Before performing liposuction, you will have a thorough consultation with your cosmetic surgeon. He or she will determine whether you are a good candidate for the procedure, and will help you decide which areas of your body might benefit the most from liposuction. On the day of the surgery, your doctor will provide IV sedation or general anesthesia. Then the surgeon will create tiny incisions in the treatment areas. Using tiny cannulas, or tubes, the surgeon will gently suction out excess fat cells, carefully avoiding the surrounding tissue. In traditional liposuction, the surgeon will loosen the cells by hand before suctioning them out. However, in newer liposuction procedures, the surgeon may use a laser or ultrasound technology to liquefy the cells before removal.
Most Common Areas for Liposuction Treatment
Liposuction can be performed on many areas of the body. Advanced laser and ultrasound liposuction is highly effective in treating smaller areas of the body, since the liquefaction of fat cells allows for extreme precision. Although liposuction is not suitable for the area around the eyes, a doctor can perform it on nearly any other part of the body. Nevertheless, liposuction can typically target certain areas of the body with greater success. These areas include:
- Abdomen - This is the most common area for liposuction treatment. Following weight loss, the stomach continues to be a troublesome area for many men and women. Liposuction can help such patients achieve a more proportionate body. In addition, after childbirth, many women are unable to lose the excess fat around their stomachs, even though they have lost the weight they gained during pregnancy. Liposuction is highly effective in restoring pre-baby bodies to these women.
- Thighs - The thighs are a troublesome area for a large percentage of women. Even with diet and exercise, fat tends to settle in this area. Though liposuction can be performed on the inner thighs, doctors more often perform this procedure on the outer thighs, since the thicker skin typically ensures better success.
- Upper arms - Many women also struggle with fat deposits in the upper arms; even weight lifting and dieting cannot remove this excess fat. Liposuction is often the best option for these women.
- Underneath the Chin - As men and women age, fat may accumulate underneath their chin, even if their weight has not changed. Because liposuction can target smaller areas of the body, this procedure can help patients look years younger.
- Male Breasts - Gynecomastia is a hormonal imbalance that causes men to develop deposits of fat in their breast tissue. This condition is not medically serious, but it can cause a great deal of embarrassment. Liposuction is the only effective treatment for men who suffer from gynecomastia.
Find a Cosmetic Surgeon
If you would like to learn more about liposuction and how it can benefit you, find a cosmetic surgeon in your area. This procedure could help you achieve the figure you've been dreaming of.
Want More Information?